11.25.2010

Giving Thanks

There are a lot of things I am thankful for. Among them are my family and friends. Good health. My home and having things around me that allow for a comfortable life. But one thing that I am extra thankful for is a trip I took to Italy with my family. It was a trip that seemed out of reach but with the love and generosity of family we were able to go. There were 21 of us that went on this great adventure.

My father is from the small town of Lucca. He would try to go back every other year or so with my mom. Sometimes he would go back with one of us 5 kids. Sometimes just the two of them. We could never afford to all go at once. But it was a dream of his to take his American family and bring them to Italy so we could all be there together in his beloved homeland. 


My father was getting older and his memory was starting to wane. We knew that we needed to go soon. It was early summer in 2007. The craziness that ensured trying to get this all planned was unbelievable. There were passports, plane tickets, sky miles, side trips and reservations. Somehow we got it all worked out.



My parents didn't go on the side trips with us but we were still a lot of people. Restaurants and hotels are normally pretty small in the towns we went to. So when we'd ask for a table for 19 we would watch them scramble but somehow those remarkable crazy Italians would make it work. Sometimes it was a table in the basement but there was always lots of food and wine. Lots and lots of wine.



We visited Florence, Rome, Venice and Cinque Terre. We packed a lot in to the time that we had. How I wish we had more time. The happiness that was on my father's face was the best part. We had a huge family reunion at my cousin's home in the country. We got to know family members that I hadn't seen since I was 12. I was now introducing my own children to them.

It wasn't long after we got back from this glorious trip that my father's memory worsened. He started to forget that we had all gone on this trip with him. The one thing he had wanted for so long. But we all held on to the memories for him. When my father passed away at the beginning of the year, we knew his dream had come true. So I give thanks to my father's dream of us all being together in Italy. It left us all with memories that we will forever have. Memories of being together with la famiglia. With hopes to go back and do it all over again.




34 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, what an amazing trip. You will carry those memories with you forever. Have a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful that you got to go on that trip. It looks amazing. That first photo took my breath away. I am also thankful I have "met" such a sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita,
    What a beautiful story...I'm so happy that your family was able to do this with your father. Hope you have a wonderful day with your family!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Anita~ oh what incredible photos and such a touching story! I would love to go to Italy~ it is a dream of mine and my husband is half Italian so hey, we could look up some family too! I am so glad you had that special time with your father and made his biggest dream come true.
    Happy Thanksgiving.
    btw- I am not familiar with the blog hop thing.... do I just link up any post or do I have to add the blog hop to my blog? Or? I will try to join in but if I screw it up... I apologize in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anita,
    first off, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved father. How wonderful that your entire family was able to go on such an incredible trip with him! The pictures are just stunning. I'm glad that you have these memories to hang on to. We went to Italy 10 years ago and fell in love with it, and would love to someday return. Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so wonderful that you all got to take that trip together. Have a great day and thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful post on Thanksgiving. Hope you have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice little bit of your family history. Italy is just sooooo beautiful. The photos are gorgeous! I would love to visit there someday. My hubby's folks have been twice and they said there's nothing like it. How lucky for you to share that heritage.

    Thanks for sharing your heart and hope you have a very happy Thanksgiving!

    xx
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. what an amazing trip and such fantastic memories, the photographs are wonderful. Happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a beautifully written remembrance of a very special occasion. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. The pictures are so beautiful and I can't imagine what they must have looked like in person. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow how beautiful! i definitely want to visit italy someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a beautiful post and beautiful story. I enjoyed it very much. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful post, how lucky you are to have such great memories!!! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful post! Gorgeous photos too. I've been to Italy twice and I consider it to be one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a wonderful post. Happy Thanksgiving Anita! ♥ tam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your story about your father, it was very touching. I hope you and your family are having a great Thanksgiving. Ciao Bella!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a beautiful story. Thank you for taking us along with your photos and words. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just beautiful. I agree it is a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a nice story Anita. How wonderful that you were able to do this for your father. I'm sure your family will always cherish the memories of that trip...along with those beautiful photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely story and so happy you have such wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so glad you got to go....I had a few day trips with my dad here locally this summer. It was awesome and I'll never forget it. Thank you for sharing your beautiful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a beautiful story Anita and i am so sorry for you your loss. You have wonderful memories that will last a lifetime and then some!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful, wonderful story. I am so sorry for the loss of your father but I can just feel how this trip together was truly special, and the memories have helped you heal. I loved seeing all of your photos as well! Thanks so much for joining the Mortal Muses blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful post Anita...how lovely you all got to go..your Dad must have been thrilled!
    Your photos are gorgeous...Id love to go there too!

    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad you were all able to share that trip with your father all together. I'm sure he enjoyed it immensely. Your photos from the trip are wonderful, such a beautiful place. I love that shot of Venice. Except for Rome, I was fortunate to visit all of the other cities you listed. And that trip was magical. I can only imagine how wonderful it would be to have family there also.
    Hope you had a wonderful holiday with your family. Thanks for participating in the blog hop.
    ♥maureen

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great post, Anita. My daughter will be studying in Florence this spring-we are all so excited for this adventure for her. I wish, wish, WISH I could go and see her....I can't imagine getting 21 people together!!!!!
    Thanks for sharing your memories.
    xo
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great trip! I'm so glad you all got to go. I'm sure it meant the world to your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great pictures. I love italy-I have actually been to Lucca!
    The Bavarian Christmas linky party is now open-won’t you come and join us at http://dobermans-by-the-sea.blogspot.com/2010/11/1st-christmas-linky-party-at-dobermans.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. There is my dream right here in front of me...WOW what a trip! So glad you were able to do it with your family. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Anita~ I figured out how to do the blog hop...but didn't realize it was suppose to be a Thankful post to link up!! I thought you could link up whatever so I just linked up a project!! Aye...... I would have deleted and redone but had no idea how to do that.
    Btw. I am in awe over those pictures all over again... wow..

    ReplyDelete
  31. sounds like a lovely trip. beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a wonderful trip and story! It is certainly a beautiful memory to be thankful for...I have been having a good time blog hopping with the Muses this Thanksgiving weekend! Love your post and your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a beautiful memory. Thank you for sharing. How awesome that you all were able to make it together. May I ask, where is Lucca? I have been to Italy, too, and the name sounds so familiar. We went through a lot of little towns along with the big ones, but my favorite, favorite, favorite was Florence. I'll tell you about it someday, but today, it is about your story.

    I'm so sorry. I know what it feels like to have that empty space in your heart when you lose your dad. You gave him such a great lasting memory. I'm sure he's up there cherishing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. I love hearing from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails