4.12.2011

Old Drawer Now a Shelf

I want to thank everyone for coming by. You guys leave the best comments. Shirley cracked me up when she said she saw Santa in the clouds of the picture I posted yesterday!

I’ve been working on a project for my sewing room. I can’t show you just yet but I will be showing you some bits and piece along the way. It’s really the guest room and I’m trying to cram a sewing area in there too. We’ll see how it goes. I’m still searching for a daybed so I’ll have more room.

cratebirds6

I picked up this box/crate/drawer thing at an estate sale awhile ago. I spied it on the first day but didn’t get it. It kept gnawing at me so I went back and grabbed it on the half off day. Hubby says it’s the drawer to a military field desk.

crate             crate2

It was pretty beat up and filthy. I gave it a scrub and got out the paint. I’ve had enough olive drab in my life. I was going to show you how I did the weathered white washed treatment but there really is no rhyme or reason to what I did.

cratebirds5

I started with white, added some gray of different shades. I would add black to some, then lighten it with white. I just kept building until I drove myself nuts. That’s my tutorial. Paint until you can’t take it any longer and then you’re done! I used a shade of oops paint and I wasn’t thrilled with it. So I used some white glaze on top of it all. But I can see now that I may add more. I guess I wasn’t nuts enough. I think I will wax it but the paint needs to cure. The Briwax I have was taking off the paint. Give me a holler if you have any questions.

cratebirds4            cratebirds3

I sanded it a bit on the edges and on all the metal pieces. The metal pieces are at all the joints.


cratebirds2

I found these cute little birds thanks to Michelle from Emerald Cove. I spied one that she had in the background of one of her pictures. She is the sweetest and let me know that she found hers over at Tj Maxx. I just love them. My son calls them birds on a stick. Whatever.

Oh and you need to go see what she just did to her fireplace. Just gorgeous. Something else to add to my to do list.

cratebirds7 
As I was painting this little number 2 appeared. I had not noticed it before and haven’t a clue why it would be there.

cratebirds

Now I just have to figure out where it will go. It may end up in the sewing room. I could hang it on the wall or stack it on the table. I think it will make a great little shelf.

Linking up with:

Photobucket

See ya,

image

30 comments:

  1. Anita~ I found a perfect spot!!!
    with ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And yes..Michelle did do an awesome job....as well as you!
    I need your guys energy!!
    Smiles~
    Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  2. So darn cute, Anita!! Love those birds too :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that drawer/shelf. I saw Michelle's fireplace. I love it too. And I recognized your birds right away! The government stamps their furniture. Not sure why. I have a piece my mom got from her old job and it has numbers on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, "paint until you can't take it any longer"! Nice job!

    Suzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this look and since I have a pair of those "birds on sticks" I'll have to keep an eye out for an old drawer or crate and paint it 'til I can't take it!

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I love it. The vignette is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh Anita this is beautiful!! What a great idea to use as a shelve and I love your painting technique! :) Your little guys look adorable there next the driftwood. :) Love love love my friend and thank you for little shout out, you are so sweet to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anita, that looks perfect! Thanks for joining WUW.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks awesome! i love the industrial feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool! everything looks great! I have one of those, but I have the part it goes into too. :)

    It's in my stash along with another trunk sort of thing. I don't know when I'm going to get to it all. :)
    super job anita!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really do have a gift. This is more than a hobby. Vision!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw those birds at Michelle's today and she said how you were such a nice friend and picked one up for her too. Love your shelf drawer and you painting tutorial too ;)

    ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great transformation! And glad to see someone else was getting high on paint fumes this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my what a great find!!! And I love what you did with it:) The birds are super cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anita, what a great recreation of a drawer! You always amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the shelf. The little "2" is an interesting find. Maybe a military friend can explain. That's why I like old things, you never know what you will find. Love the shore birds. Be sure to let us know where you put this treasure. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a great project...I think I have an old drawer like this...and I love the birds on a stick!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! That is so cool!

    Love the #2 that magically appeared.........

    Don't ya just love half off day???

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anita! looks like a winner! Your tutorial was so easy to follow...
    It looks great right where it is. Those birds on sticks, and the tub with driftwood make it all so beachy.
    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Anita, I just love your pier photos, they are so pretty! I ve always been fascinated with piers and some of the very first photos I ever made were standing underneath piers. I was also wondering where you got your gorgeous "Gulf of Mexico" table cloth--the teal and red one? Just re-did our kitchen in those colors and cant find a tablecloth like that anywhere! Thanks and have a great weekend!
    ...Debbi @ Debbi's Front Porch

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love that drawer~all the hardware on it is so cool. I really enjoyed the tutorial, too. :) You cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very creative. You could even add little feet from a home improvement store to give it extra height.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this converted drawer to shelf!!! And the birds are too cute..., also included your glass jar in my coastal mix here. Love that shot with the vintage surfer girl, haha.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Anita, I hope you are having a great weekend. This project turned out so cute and is perfect with beachy decor. Love your little birds too!
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  25. Heya GORGEOUS....!

    Love LOVE L-O-V-E your drawer makeover Anita.... :o) !!

    Perhaps the #2 reflects the order the drawer may have gone into the original unit it was a part of eg. A unit containing multiple drawers of varying sizes....?

    I dunno....Made sense in my head....hahahahaha....!!

    Cheers for now,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anita, I looooove how those drawers turned out!! You got the colour perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this transformation. What a nice idea!!

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. I love hearing from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails