4.03.2011

Stenciled Towels

I have been crafting again. I don’t know what’s gotten into me. I am trying to use up some of the things I already have. But then I always seem to need to buy something else. I will never whittle my stash down if I keep that up. I used freezer paper again like I did with the lavender sachets. This time as a stencil.

towels4

The first thing I did was print out an image that I wanted to use. For my first try I used this cute little crab. Something not too hard to cut out.

crab-stencil

I taped a piece of the freezer paper on top of the image and then taped it all on a piece of card board so I’d have something to cut on. Then used my x-acto knife to cut it out. Mine is ancient but I think they have some now that pivot.

paint

Then I just ironed the freezer paper onto the flour sack shiny side down. I picked up a pack of 5 towels for under $5. And I prewashed them. It doesn’t take much heat for it to stick.  Just make sure you get the edges well. (ha! see below) I mixed some fabric paint medium with regular craft paint. The ratio for this brand is 2:1. Try to work from the outside in around the edges. I may try a sponge next time. I think that would be better.

crab2

I put it on top of hubby’s magazines to catch any seepage. Why mess up one of my mine? 

crab3


crab4
I had a bit of a leak under his left claw pit. I don’t think the paper was down well. A little corner stuck and I tried to pick it off with my fingers and should have used tweezers. Then I dripped paint on the towel too. Not bad, I blotted it off pretty fast and it came off. It looked better after it dried.

bird
The next one came out better. No leaks. Clean edges.

towels

I added some ribbon that I already had. I pick up ribbon when I find it on clearance. It’s a weakness. I have to buy it. At first I just ironed it on with the stitch witchery hem tape stuff. But then I decided to just do a zig zag stitch and I liked it. You could use a contrasting color too. I think that would be cute. After they dry for 24 hours you heat set it with the iron.

towels3
towels2
 towels5

I will do this again. It was really easy. Maybe a red lobster to go with the crab. I wish I had one of those cricuts or silhouettes but it wasn’t too hard to cut it out by hand. Maybe I’ll splurge on a new knife instead. Do they even make those pivoting or swiveling ones or was I dreaming?

see ya,
image

26 comments:

  1. Awesome idea! I love to stencil on fabric..I just think they turn out so great. Love your colors too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita..
    how neat!!!
    enjoyed the tutorial..
    saved this for a rainy day.
    hugs..
    Loui♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anita--very cute! I LOVE the bird. I'm not much on sea creatures... not IF I lived by the sea, maybe I would be???
    you did an awesome job, great tute!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. We both were stenciling with freezer paper! :) But I cheated and used my Cricut. Cute towels. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome work. Love the bird one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look great, Anita and the trim is fun! Love the bird and that robin's egg blue is one of my favorite colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anita,
    Okay another neat looking idea to add to my list...they are both soooooo darn cute! They are also very NIFTY THRIFTY!!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know about the knives, as I don't dare buy one with my clumsy ways. You're on quite a roll. These are darling. (I have a weakness for ribbon too.)
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anita,

    I love those towels!! After I move I'll have to try and make some! They are both wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, cute project! I don't craft much and this is the first time I've heard of using freezer paper in this way- what a great idea, I'll have to try it sometime! I wonder if I could use this same technique to make some cute casual place-mats.. My husband accidentally bleached ours last week. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute idea! I love 'em both but I realllly love the bird one.

    I don't have a cricut or silhouette either. I've been contemplating the silhouette, though.

    Should I or shouldn't I??? Hmmmm......

    I have a Martha Stewart knife that I really like but nope, it doesn't swivel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a good job. I love the blues and greens.

    ReplyDelete
  13. these are adorable!!! i love the blue crab, but i live in maryland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're just full of great ideas! I love the bird the best, that ribbon goes so well.

    I always see everyone talking about those silhouette machines and think it would be fun to have one, but then...I don't know, how much would I really use it.

    ~Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laughing still about the crab's "left claw pit". That just struck me as so funny. Love your towels and the ribbon is the perfect touch. Where do you find the fabric paint medium? I looked for it at Joann Fabrics and they told me that it did not exist! I knew I had heard of it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They are adorable. I could see a little boutique charging $25 a piece for something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  17. CUTE! It's clear that I need to invest in some freezer paper. The ribbon is a nice touch and I think contrasting zigzag stitching would look great, too. Especially since your stitches are so even.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so cute, Anita - what great gifts they would be, too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Anita this is a GORGEOUS project but I LOVE how you used your Hubby's mag & NOT yours....hahahahaha....I would SO DO THAT myself....mwhahahahahaha....**wink**....!

    Cheers from Oz,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So Cute! I totally have to follow you now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for visiting my blog and for showing us how to make these stencils. I've heard of people using Glad press n seal and freezer paper, but the idea of making my own stencil has always scared me. Your projects turned out great though!

    ReplyDelete
  22. what a great idea! love that little crabby!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful! I love the colors and design you selected and you are using two of my favorite things - freezer paper and that fabric painting medium

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your towels. The trim is perfect and I like the zig-zag way you put it on. I'm in need of some cute towels. I should try this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. ADORABLE!! I don't know which one I like better. They are both awesome!!!!! I'm LOVING your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love this idea. Gonna start on Christmas gifts this weekend and this is where I begin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. I love hearing from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails