7.01.2011

July 4th Pennant Banner




I know I’m running a little late on this.

But it’s not like there is a July 4th season right?

banner_edited-1

I just wanted something a little festive to hang outside.

I had no time to go to Joann's for fabric so I just used what I could find.
Which happened to be bandanas.

bandanas

I wanted this to be fast and easy so here is what I did.

It took me about 30 minutes.

I folded them in half. Used a paper template to give me a general size idea.
Then cut them out with a pair of pinking shears.

cutting

Then I took a long piece of jute and folded over the edge and sewed a zig zag stitch.


sewing

It went really fast and I wasn’t all that neat about it either.

banner3_edited-1

I hung it on the mantel to get a few pictures.
Tomorrow I will hang them by the pool.

banner4_edited-1

I was going to just glue them but the tacky glue was not water proof.
The sun would have probably softened any hot glue.

banner5_edited-1

I was going to try to find something that was water proof since they would be outside.
But really, for $3, I don’t care what happens to them.

I got 2 strands out of 3 bandanas. Not too bad.

I’ll show you how they look outside after I finish up a few more things out there.

I really wanted striped fabric and I was a little worried they looked too western.

Oh well.

The old west seems very American to me. :)




update: I have kept this banner up all summer. It's hanging by my pool and I've loved it!

Linking up with: 
Freckled Laundry: Air Your Laundry
My Repurposed Life: Catch as Catch Can
Funky Junk Interiors: SNS 88 and SNS 97

see ya,

33 comments:

  1. so cute! and don't forget labor day this fall.... so you can totally use it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea, and it turned out so cute!

    ciao from Newport Beach

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th from this Canadian..we are celebrating 144 years...today our July 1st! Love you banner..such a festive..red/white and blue!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I've always been a bandana fan!
    too cute!
    gail
    ps thanks for linking up AND linking back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your banner! Maybe a crafting moment will finally hit me after I get home. We are headed home tomorrow. Keep inspiring me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE the bandanas, they are so festive and carefree and even a little vintagey! Storing that idea away!
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I was just thinking about making those tomorrow - and then I saw your post on Freckled Laundry! So don't feel bad - yours are done and it's only July 1st!!! It looks great too! I wish you had a picture of them where you're hanging them outside! Maybe you could add one?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It turned out so cute and festive! Happy 4th!

    Lina

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this! Banners are so popular right now and I love ANYTHING made out of a bandana print!!! I'll keep this in mind for next year's party.

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute and you did it no time! Have a Happy 4th of July!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your banners!! What a great way to decorate. Thanks for stopping by the firefly and leaving a comment. I love the look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute idea Anita...I love it. Happy 4th to you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute! I love the western look. Have a great 4th :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these, how summery and festive for the 4th! VERY CUTE!!!

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  15. Over here from June's.
    I am going to take this fabulous idea for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They don't look 'western' they just look Americana - and very cute, too! Love 'em! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea! I just got a sewing machine and I'm tempted to try this myself!
    I'm visiting over from funkyjunkinteriors. I'm hosting my first ever blog party and its all 4th of July-all Red, White, and Blue! I'd love for you to link up and share with me!

    http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com/2011/07/4th-of-july-link-party.html

    Hope to see you over at my place soon!
    Kaitlin
    notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anita, I love that banner!!! Thanks for sharing your creativity with us!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it, Anita!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. As usual, your imagination blows my mind. Great idea and great job on it too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Saw your comment at BB Pie and had to check you out. Love your blog! Gonna favorite you and check you out from time to time. Fab photos!
    Mary (http://areyouonthefence.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  22. love, love love, LOVE this!!!!
    3 dollars and 30 minutes...can't beat that!
    xo
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sooooo cute Anita...love this idea!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. I don't think it looks western~it's just plain cute!

    ReplyDelete
  25. that is a great extra to your summer mantle. you're right, there's no 4th season, but to me the whole summer is more patriotic than any other time of the year. i hope you don't take it down anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is really cute. Looks festive and all ready for 4th of July. Hope you had a wonderful holiday. It went by WAY TOO FAST!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW! This looks fabulous! I can't believe how easy you make it look. I think I could do that. And I love the look of using the bandanas!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You never cease to amaze me!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am so behind and I'm very stressed about this. Yes, I know there are much bigger problems in the world, but I hate feeling rude.

    Love the bandanna banner. You seriously have to take a trip south and teach me all these wondrous things. Just don't try and teach me how to sew because I will cry.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such a cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

    Happy Weekend -
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very cute patriotic banner....and I love that it was made out of bandanas!

    Jennifer
    http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this! So festive and smart with the bandanas. I hope you'll link up to my Patriotic Project Parade going on now through July 4th.

    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/06/patriotic-project-parade-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. I love hearing from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails