5.07.2010

Extravaganza! It's a Fun Word

I have been wanting to participate in Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday for quite some time. So, I thought I'd whip out my camera and take some shots of my favorite piece. My camera was not in a good mood. Its batteries decided to die on me. Then it laughed at me when I realized my memory card was not inserted. While I do have an internal memory, my port to download photos is wonky so all photos on my internal are stuck there forever. So, you are stuck with bad pictures. Sorry.


I got her when my sisters and I did a trek to Mount Dora. It's near Orlando. I love going to Renningers. They have what is called an Extravaganza! Doesn't that just sound wonderful? Well it is. And I suggest if you are able to attend one of these you go!
There are some Renningers in PA too.


She has great details. I tried to lighten the pictures so you could see the dove tails and the square nail heads. She was very dark, like the dove tails, when I got her. I didn't strip her but I did use an antique refinisher and then Kramer's Best. I can usually get away with just using Kramers but this was pretty heavy with old finish and it needed more. Either more time and muscle with the Kramer's or a step up. I chose a step up.



Do you see the side? It's all one piece of wood. Even down to the back leg. When boards are that wide, it's a good sign of it's age. It's sitting on a Flor sample so I can move it around.


The inside even smells old. I love that smell. The panels on the doors are chamfered, another sign to look for. While I'm using it to store photo albums, I would like to move them and then decorate the inside and leave one door open.


Had to turn her around to take a shot of the back too. So you could see all of the rough cut wood they used. Again wide planks. The guy I bought her from called it a linen press. I'm not sure on that but I do keep my table clothes in that big deep drawer. So it is now.


I'm linking up with: 
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed's


12 comments:

  1. What a rich, charming piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo, she is a pretty thing. thanks for sharing pics of this gorgeous piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice chest. Love the legs on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anita,
    Nice piece of furniture, thanks for sharing it's charm! I've been to Renningers, but never for the extravaganza. We always visit the in-laws the 1st week of march, near Leesburg.
    I wish we could go a week earlier just to get to the extravaganza! (love mt dora too!)
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous piece! I have several old dressers and a neat very old hutch, and I love the dove tail joints! They just don't make them like that any more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty piece of furniture. Wouldn't mind that in my house. Wanna trade for something???? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, what a great piece of furniture! They just don't make 'em like they used to.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anita, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such a sweet comment for me! It's nice to 'meet' you, and I am enjoying looking around your blog too.
    That is a lovely piece of quality, wooden furniture, I can see why she is your fave!!
    :) Flick

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you finally participated! That piece is absolutely gorgeous. The lines, craftsmanship and patina of that old wood are all amazing. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that is a fabulous piece, anita! i love old rustic pieces like that- so charming and rich in history and workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to have a piece like this in my home. Stunning!

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. I love hearing from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails