This is what it was. I had put this together years ago with the help of my hubby. It was two shutter that I cut down to make this little shelf for my porch. Then My sister had given me the sign and I nailed it right on the front. It's been sitting in my garage since we moved. So I dragged it out to my very narrow porch. I don't have much room to work with and this was pretty darn skinny. But I was not digging the veggie sign anymore. So, I sanded it down a tad. Painted it with some creamy white paint. Wait, what? I took no pictures of my during? Yikes, sorry. If I had an extra set of hands that would be helpful. I start getting into it and then don't think about a camera. Sometimes my son will even remind me. He was sitting right there and said nothing. Blame him.
I also dragged this out of my garage but wanted to lighted it up. I tried some white and letting some of the black show through. Not bad but not light enough. Needed more of a coastal feel to it. So, I took out some blues and mixed up a color. Put more white on the frame and the blue on the metal. Painted, wiped off, painted, sanded some.
This was working better for me and where it was going. I was a little unsure at first, I will admit.
Now, what else can I dig out of the garage. Why these dirty and cracked old things. They needed a good cleaning, some glue and a little nail for the latch. I was going to paint them but it was going to be too difficult since the glass did not come out. So, I just distressed them even more. Then rubbed a little walnut stain on them.
Also, found this. Tired of the dark green so it got a paint job and a little embellishment. Are you still with me? Get another cup of coffee. There are more pictures.
Okay, okay. Here it is all together on my very narrow front porch. I hung the iron scrolly thing with some brick clips. No drilling into the brick. It's very heavy and two clips are holding it up. I had this large piece of driftwood that a friend dragged out of the water for me. Love friends like that.
Changed the vegetable to Beach, which looks much better don't you think? I printed the letters out and rubbed the back with a pencil then traced it on to the wood. Sanded it down to look weathered and dry brushed some of the blue on to the white. Easy peasy.
My birdhouses got a little shelled up. The small one got a little pale green paint first.
I just love the cut out of the star and the moon. Sometimes I wish I had not cut them up since I am now looking for a tall shutter for my bedroom. But I will come across some again. No biggie.
Threw some shells in the bottom of the lantern too. One can never have enough shells. I have one more thing to add to it as soon as I get more plants. These are looking a little sad.
This little beauty. It got a makeover too. The birdies are no more. It has a little bit of some coastal flair now. I will show you another day as I may have lost some of you already. Besides, I have no picture yet.
Update: Here is my little redo of the box above and then added to the shelf.
I will be linking with
Southern Hospitality Today's Thrifty Treasures