7.31.2010

Three Mantels

It's been a little nutty the last couple of days but I wanted to get a mantel post up so I can join Donna over at Saturday Nite Special. But of course I am late as usual. I have three mantels. Sort of. The first one is that of my real fireplace. I just painted it out in white. How I would love to have painted all of the brick but for now I love the white mantel. The photograph is a self portrait done by my son for one of his projects while he was in college. I love having it front and center since he's back in Atlanta.

I was going to fluff it up a bit but by the time I got home the light was fading. I rushed to get some pictures.




My second mantel is my sort of mantel. It's made with some very old corbels and a shelf we put together. It's hanging in my eat in area of the kitchen. Those suckers are very heavy and have to be anchored into the wall. After we got them up we both realized that they were way too close together! I don't know what we did but it will be fixed when that rooms gets painted. Soon. I hope.

Try lugging two of these babies around an antique market. You will soon learn to bring a cart next time.


My third mantel is my faux fireplace. I didn't take any pictures today so I posted an old one. Sorry. It looks a little naked. For some reason I forgot about this one until I started typing. And it's right behind me! I found it at a different antique market. It was a horrid shade of pink and so I stripped as much of that off as I could and painted and glazed it.

So there you have it. You don't need a fireplace to have a mantel! You can just put one together with either a shelf or a surround and have fun decorating it. 

Linking up with:



Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. Very pretty! The first one looks really nice painted crisp white against the brick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really thought about creating a mantle without a fireplace until reading your post tonight...I am going to try it. Love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Anita you have some great mantels! P.S.--Did you read my post today?? I think you might want to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks so pretty! Great job.

    Partying with you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anita,
    Your mantels are great! I love the starfish in the window! So neat! I can hardly believe anyone would paint a mantle pink (with all due respect to the lovely color!)! Yours looks so much better creamy white! And your corbel mantel is perfectly accessorized! Love them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anita...those are great mantel shots. I wish I could get that creative with mine..but I can't!!~ I enjoyed my visit here:)! Have a great weekend. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these mantel shots! I want to make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love them all Anita!
    Your starfish arrangements are so cute, esp on the window.
    I missed Donna's party again this week! Bummer...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Anita....!!

    Hope you're having a FAB weekend....! I'm frightfully ENVIOUS of your mantels ESPECIALLY the green one with the AWESOME corbels....! Your third mantel reminds me of my headboard mantel in our bedroom & I LOVE the first mantle with the handsome dark window & picture frame....Is that curly willow in your pot....??

    Cheers for now,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking mantels. My favorite is the faux fireplace.Have a great week.
    Annette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Anita! Your mantels are gorgeous!! My fav vignette is the first one, and of course, I love those corbels! Hope you can link up to style feature saturday! To (finally)answer your question about the sprayer...you can totally use it for priming, but I'm just a little lazy to clean it in between. After priming took all day that day, I have changed my mind! -shaunna :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Anita!
    They are all so very yummy!
    I actually like the shelf/mantle with the corbels closer together--it looks so... so... so...not planned.
    Uh, creatively placed.
    Yeah, that's it!
    You gave me some ideas, as usual!
    Your home is delightfully cozy!
    Hugs to you!
    ~me

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the mantels! I can't decide which one is my favorite. I also can't believe you lugged those corbels around at the flea market! I totally would have done the same thing, too. Also, thanks for visiting my blog and leaving such sweet comments. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love how you put together your mantels. And i love that photo of your son. very cool. How clever to make a 'mantel' from a shelf. Now, can you come over and do that at my house?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. I love hearing from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails