6.06.2010

It's Going Outside

So remember the $3 chair that could have been $2? I got around to painting it this week. Not exactly how I had envisioned it. But a good piece to practice some color combos since it's going outside. I first sanded it down a bit. It was pretty dirty. I wasn't going to be fanatical about it (going outside remember).


I had some Brilliant Blue I had bought for another chair. Glad I didn't use it for that. It was a bit on the bright side. This is it still wet. I think I did another coat after this. What the heck, don't like the color? Give it another coat. I did like it better with the 2nd but thought it was looking too new.


So I took some of this and watered it down. Gave it the old wipe on wipe off treatment. It stuck in all the groves and some of the previous finish that I didn't get sanded off (going outside).


It did age it a bit but also sort of made it look dirty. Something I wouldn't want if it was in my house. Thank goodness it's going outside.


I used window screen for the basket. Just stapled and folded it to make it as deep as I wanted. Staple it good, it will be heavy with dirt and water. Trim away the excess. I then soak some sheet moss in water. It's easier to work with. Just squeeze it out and start placing it on the bottom. No pics, it's imagination time. I thought I took some but I was hurrying since the mosquitoes were out to eat me alive. When you get part way up the sides add some dirt, then add more moss and work up. It  keeps the moss in place. And learn from my mistake. Don't make it too deep. Mine is hanging way low and reminds me of a cow's udder. I will hide it with a plant in front for now but I will fix it when I replant next year. Someone remind me.


So, then you add your beautiful plants. Hopefully your Home Depot doesn't suck in the plant department and you can find better ones than I did. I prefer to go to Lowes for plants but it was waaaaay over there, not where I was at the time. I wanted a vine for the back.



I let the moss cover up the staples on the edges. I do like to pack my planters pretty full. These are just the cheap annuals, except for the one draping over the front, so it gives me a full look right away. So there you have it. Not super thrilled with it but...it's outside. And I learned I didn't like the aging technique on the blue, maybe I should have used a whitewash. Oh, I gave it a shot of some clear poly on it too.


update: August 19, trying to survive this horrible heat!


I am linking up to 
The DIY Show Off Project Parade
                                 Debbie @ Debbiedoos    
The CSI Project Spray Paint   

                      

19 comments:

  1. I like bright colors in the garden! That looks great and what a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anita,
    I love your chair, and the blue is so cheery! You did a great job! Glad you liked my chalkboard! I have heard of people painting over the glass w/chalkboard paint, but I've never tried it. Since I put this in my etsy shop, I didn't want to have to worry about shipping something as fragile as a mirror, so that's why I added the wood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Right up my alley....so many are afraid of color...so when I see someone like minded I am sooooo happy. Thanks for linking up to my party...you will really enjoy the other features as well. Great group of gals, and you will be sure to meet some new friends out there through my party. Have a great rest of the day!~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the blue on the chair. Not to forget the flowers... love it!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anita, hopping back over to answer your question... I used hardly ANY out of the 80 lb bag! I need to get another mixing bowl set so I can get more going at one time. I think a lot of things could be used on the edges! We also made stepping stones, and I need to think of another project too!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I'm going to have to try this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your chair turned out really nicely Anita! The blue looks great for an outside chair and goes nicely with the flowers! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a great job and since it is outside, I think the blue is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen pots recessed into chairs before, but never a basket made from screening. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anita,

    Love your blue chair with the flowers! I love the blue that you choose, very bright and cheerful! Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the bright happy blue chair. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the blue a lot. A nice pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This project makes me rethink what I was planning to do with the chairs I got to reupholster. Hmmm. Those would look mighty pretty in my yard. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it. And I totally understand about trying to survive this crazy heat. It's hit us hard in VA too. And of course I forgot to ask our house sitter to water the flowers on the front porch while we were on vacation. Oops!
    I also enjoyed reading your profile. If we lived closer, we'd be BFFs scouting the aisles of Target and searching out bargains, eating peppermint patties and loving on our pups!!! ;) So much in common!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i dont normally like blue but i really like your chair!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh - I do love this! What a lovely shade of blue!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea. I hope you don't mind - I added a link to my Porch and Garden Party at First A Dream.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the blue chair! Does the clear poly protect it from the weather? Morning dew? rain? etc

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by today. I love hearing from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails